GARDENING TIPS FOR THE HOT SUMMER (+ WEEDING AND WATERING STRATEGIES)
It's early August and things are really heating up… here are my hot summer garden tips.
Never miss a new video! Sign up to our email list here: http://bit.ly/FollowAlongNow
Click "SHOW MORE" if you're new to our channel and "MORE ABOUT US" for some freebies!
Watch today's video for my tips on gardening when the summer gets hot, including tips on keeping the weeds down, watering strategies, and continual growth throughout the summer!
For more tips on how to keep weeds out of the garden, check out our blog post: https://homesteadingfamily.com/how-to-keep-weeds-out-of-garden/
And for gardening mistakes to avoid, check out this blog post: https://homesteadingfamily.com/10-common-gardening-mistakes-to-avoid/
MORE ABOUT US!
WELCOME! We're so glad you're here! We are Josh and Carolyn Thomas. Together with our nine children, we are The Homesteading Family where we’re living a self-sustainable life in beautiful North Idaho. Let us welcome you and show you a bit about us here: http://bit.ly/HFWelcomeVideo
Grow, Preserve & Thrive with us!
Visit us at https://www.homesteadingfamily.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/homesteadingfamily
A few highlights you don't want to miss are our FREEBIES!!
Click any of the links below for instant access to free video training resources:
– Healthy Healing at Home- Free 4 video workshop on our herb course Herbal Medicine Cabinet: Colds
– Bread Making workshop- Free 4 video workshop on our masterclass, The Art of Homemade Bread
– Meals on Your Shelf- Free 4 video workshop on canning. The Abundant Pantry: Canning
Click any of the links below for instant access to these free downloadable PDFs:
– Homesteading Family's Favorite Holiday Recipes – A PDF download filled with our family’s favorite holiday recipe.
– 5 Steps to a More Self Sufficient Life- Simple PDF download on 5 steps anyone can take wherever they are to start a more self-sufficient lifestyle.
– Thrive Wellness Checklist- A simple PDF download for healthy living.
– Permaculture for Your Homestead- PDF download that is an introduction to permaculture with some strategies for applying it to one’s homestead and garden.
– Carolyn’s Cottage Garden herb list- PDF with Carolyn’s favorite herbs for growing at home.
– Carolyn’s Make-Ahead Breakfast Casseroles- Carolyn’s favorite make-ahead breakfast casseroles.
– Your FREE Guide to Preserving Eggs- PDF download with multiple ways to preserve eggs.
– 5 Steps to a Healthy Garden- PDF download with an explanation of what makes healthy soil and 5 steps you can take to improve your garden
– Save the Crumbs- Several Recipes for using bread leftovers, a less committal entry to bread than the workshop.
– Fearless Fermenting- A PDF on basic lacto-ferments.
– Fermenting Tomatoes- PDF download on fermenting tomatoes
– Preserving Culinary Herbs- Downloadable, step by step directions to drying, freezing and salting culinary herbs.
– Render Your Own Lard- PDF with instructions on how to render your own lard.
#gardentips #wateringtips #gardenstrategies
What a BEAUTIFUL GARDEN. Looks like everything is growing like it was done all by nature.
Thanks for all the tips, I am starting to plan my Spring/Summer garden as I am in Southern Hemisphere, but storing away all the tips 😀
Great tips! I got overrun with weeds in some beds…just had so much to do that I ended up not staying on top of it. I tend to water mostly when I have seeds planted and then as they are young. Then I water really deeply (or after a real soaking rain) and follow with a mulch very heavily. I find I don’t have to water hardly at all after that.
Fabulous video, garden and presentation. Thank you.
Thank you so much. This helps.
Fewer weeds also has a lot to do with where you live……we very seldom have to water (not a single time this year), but we grow jungles here in N. Alabama…..Larry @ Scoot’s Organic.
MULCH! I couldn’t garden with out it. It is the most valuable tool I have. Thanks for the great video’s keep’m coming.
Great watering tips Josh, thanks. It’s always windy here, and it’s been triple digits for a couple months, so you did point out a few ways that would help me to water more efficiently. I will implement that strategy and see how well it works for my area.
Any advice on how to prevent or get rid of corn fleas?? I seem to get them every time I try to raise corn .. I try to avoid pesticides but my corn failed from heat and corn fleas this year …
How do you know how long to water to achieve deep watering once a week?
Thank you for showing No Till. Where I am, farmers use Roundup around their corn, just so they don’t have to weed. Then they sell the corn to people. Of course, I don’t buy it from them. But if I see a small time farmer with a few weeds around his/her corn, I’m the first in line, because they aren’t using roundup on their soil.
Very interesting. Good info.
Love the new intro… Reminds me of the show Heartland! Thanks for the this!
Great info! Can you please do a video on how you control pests? I am trying to control pests naturally without harsh pesticides, but it’s a losing battle! Thank you!
Thanks for the point about deep watering
Do you have a video on your watering system? I’d love to see more about the overhead water system, plus do you water from your well, do you collect rainwater, greywater etc? Thanks for the tips, garden is looking great!
1inch water? Does this mean that I should apply enough water so that the soil is moist to the depth of one inch?
Thank you for this video! I do have a question: my sister (albeit we live in Texas) grew corn one year and did overhead watering, but when she went to harvest the corn, there was mildew all over them on the inside. Does your corn do this? If not, how do you prevent mildew in your corn? Does anybody else have any experience and tips with growing and watering corn? Thank you! 🙂
When and how do you harvest seeds for the next season?
The first weed you outlet from your garden. They are all over mine. Good thing they are easy to pull out