APARTMENT TO 40 ACRES – OUR HOMESTEADING JOURNEY
Join us as we reflect on our journey from an apartment in the city to a 40-acre homestead.
Never miss a new video! Sign up to our email list here: http://bit.ly/FollowAlongNow
Click "SHOW MORE" if you're new to our channel and "MORE ABOUT US" for some freebies!
Our Pantry Chat episodes are now also available as a podcast, so visit here to download and listen whenever you want: https://homesteadingfamily.com/podcast
In this episode:
– Josh and Carolyn talk about why they made the move from the city to the country 18 years ago.
– How they honed their homesteading skills in the early years.
– How to fill up the space you have now and be resourceful before moving on to something bigger.
– How to be strategic, ask the right questions, and make the right decisions when starting to grow your own food.
– What is clabbered milk and how can you reuse the cultures to speed up your process.
0:00 – Podcast Announcement
1:58 – Chit Chat
4:40 – Question of the Day: Can you start your own dairy cultures and keep them going like a sourdough starter?
7:13 – Main Topic
7:50 – Apartment living
12:00 – Living on 1/4 acres
17:25 – Living on 5 acres
22:10 – Living on 20 acres
24:40 – Living on 40 acres
31:30 – How Homesteading Family began
MORE ABOUT US!
WELCOME! We're so glad you're here! We are Josh and Carolyn Thomas. Together with our nine children, we are The Homesteading Family where we’re living a self-sustainable life in beautiful North Idaho. Let us welcome you and show you a bit about us here: http://bit.ly/HFWelcomeVideo
Grow, Preserve & Thrive with us!
Visit us at https://www.homesteadingfamily.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/homesteadingfamily
A few highlights you don't want to miss are our FREEBIES!!
Click any of the links below for instant access to free video training resources:
– Healthy Healing at Home- Free 4 video workshop on our herb course Herbal Medicine Cabinet: Colds
– Bread Making workshop- Free 4 video workshop on our masterclass, The Art of Homemade Bread
– Meals on Your Shelf- Free 4 video workshop on canning. The Abundant Pantry: Canning
Click any of the links below for instant access to these free downloadable PDFs:
– Homesteading Family's Favorite Holiday Recipes – A PDF download filled with our family’s favorite holiday recipe.
– 5 Steps to a More Self Sufficient Life- Simple PDF download on 5 steps anyone can take wherever they are to start a more self-sufficient lifestyle.
– Thrive Wellness Checklist- A simple PDF download for healthy living.
– Permaculture for Your Homestead- PDF download that is an introduction to permaculture with some strategies for applying it to one’s homestead and garden.
– Carolyn’s Cottage Garden herb list- PDF with Carolyn’s favorite herbs for growing at home.
– Carolyn’s Make-Ahead Breakfast Casseroles- Carolyn’s favorite make-ahead breakfast casseroles.
– Your FREE Guide to Preserving Eggs- PDF download with multiple ways to preserve eggs.
– 5 Steps to a Healthy Garden- PDF download with an explanation of what makes healthy soil and 5 steps you can take to improve your garden
– Save the Crumbs- Several Recipes for using bread leftovers, a less committal entry to bread than the workshop.
– Fearless Fermenting- A PDF on basic lacto-ferments.
– Fermenting Tomatoes- PDF download on fermenting tomatoes
– Preserving Culinary Herbs- Downloadable, step by step directions to drying, freezing and salting culinary herbs.
– Render Your Own Lard- PDF with instructions on how to render your own lard.
#homesteadingfamily #homesteading #homesteadjourney #homesteadingjourney