THE SKILLS YOU NEED NOW TO START HOMESTEADING
If you're thinking about starting to homestead, these 16 skills are the most important to learn now.
Never miss a new video! Sign up to our email list here: http://bit.ly/FollowAlongNow
Click "SHOW MORE" if you're new to our channel and "MORE ABOUT US" for some freebies!
Moving to a 40-acre homestead before acquiring the skills we've learned over the past 20 years (first in an apartment, then in a home on 1/4 acre, to 5-acres, etc.) would have been a dire mistake.
Here are 16 homesteading skills we think are imperative to learn BEFORE moving to a large homestead… and many can be learned right where you are, even if that means an apartment in the city!
1:57 – Chit Chat
6:24 – Question of the week: Why don't we see Josh without a hat any more?
9:40 – Cooking from Scratch
11:12 – Bulk Buying
13:13 – Pantry Management
14:41 – Food preservation
16:43 – Learning to work together
19:20 – Gardening
20:42 – Fixing things yourself
22:18 – Working with power tools
22:57 – Bread baking
24:00 – Keeping animals
25:36 – Natural medicine
28:15 -Hauling trailers and moving things around
29:09 – Natural cleaning
30:29 – Practicing off-grid scenarios
32:16 – Hospitality
34:33 – Entertainment
MORE ABOUT US!
WELCOME! We're so glad you're here! We are Josh and Carolyn Thomas. Together with our nine children, we are The Homesteading Family where we’re living a self-sustainable life in beautiful North Idaho. Let us welcome you and show you a bit about us here: http://bit.ly/HFWelcomeVideo
Grow, Preserve & Thrive with us!
Visit us at https://www.homesteadingfamily.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/homesteadingfamily
A few highlights you don't want to miss are our FREEBIES!!
Click any of the links below for instant access to free video training resources:
– Healthy Healing at Home- Free 4 video workshop on our herb course Herbal Medicine Cabinet: Colds
– Bread Making workshop- Free 4 video workshop on our masterclass, The Art of Homemade Bread
– Meals on Your Shelf- Free 4 video workshop on canning. The Abundant Pantry: Canning
Click any of the links below for instant access to these free downloadable PDFs:
– Homesteading Family's Favorite Holiday Recipes – A PDF download filled with our family’s favorite holiday recipe.
– 5 Steps to a More Self Sufficient Life- Simple PDF download on 5 steps anyone can take wherever they are to start a more self-sufficient lifestyle.
– Thrive Wellness Checklist- A simple PDF download for healthy living.
– Permaculture for Your Homestead- PDF download that is an introduction to permaculture with some strategies for applying it to one’s homestead and garden.
– Carolyn’s Cottage Garden herb list- PDF with Carolyn’s favorite herbs for growing at home.
– Carolyn’s Make-Ahead Breakfast Casseroles- Carolyn’s favorite make-ahead breakfast casseroles.
– Your FREE Guide to Preserving Eggs- PDF download with multiple ways to preserve eggs.
– 5 Steps to a Healthy Garden- PDF download with an explanation of what makes healthy soil and 5 steps you can take to improve your garden
– Save the Crumbs- Several Recipes for using bread leftovers, a less committal entry to bread than the workshop.
– Fearless Fermenting- A PDF on basic lacto-ferments.
– Fermenting Tomatoes- PDF download on fermenting tomatoes
– Preserving Culinary Herbs- Downloadable, step by step directions to drying, freezing and salting culinary herbs.
– Render Your Own Lard- PDF with instructions on how to render your own lard.
#PantryChat #Homesteading #Homesteadskills