Introduction to Dehydrating – Preservation 101
All about dehydrating! Different methods for dehydrating, what food works best, plus tips and tricks!
Never miss a new video! Sign up for our email list here: http://bit.ly/FollowAlongNow
Click "SHOW MORE" if you're new to our channel and "MORE ABOUT US" for some freebies!
Dehydration is another great option for getting food on your shelf, plus it’s also super convenient, lightweight, and really takes the bulk down on your food to help maximize your space.
In this episode of the Panty Chat, Josh and Carolyn continue their series on preservation methods with an introduction to dehydration. They cover the pros and cons of dehydration, what foods it really works best on, the different types of dehydration, and the basic steps you need to follow in order to get started.
In this Episode:
– Grandma Jeanie is recovering after having to go to the ER for pelvic pain caused by pneumonia.
– Harvest season is still in full swing as Josh and Carolyn continue to make plans to prep for winter.
– Why would somebody dehydrate and what are the benefits of doing it over other preservation methods?
– What are the types of food you can dehydrate and what are the nutritional benefits?
– What foods should not be dehydrated at home and why?
– What are the grades of different electric dehydrators and what features should you look for when buying one?
– Josh and Carolyn discuss the different types of dehydration methods (electric, solar, and oven).
– What are the basic steps you need to know before you start dehydrating food?
– Carolyn provides some tips on how to reconstitute tomatoes and use them to make a great sauce.
Preservation 101 – Canning: https://homesteadingfamily.com/preservation-101-intro-to-canning/
Preservation 101 – Fermenting: https://homesteadingfamily.com/preservation-101-intro-to-fermentation/
0:00 – Chit Chat
7:40 – My canned food grew mold, what went wrong?
10:23 – What is dehydrating?
11:55 – Benefits of dehydrating food
17:19 – What we dehydrate
19:21 – What CAN'T you dehydrate?
24:44 – Methods of dehydration
27:44 – Dehydrating basics
33:18 – How to use dehydrated food
36:25 – The BEST fruit leather tip
MORE ABOUT US!
WELCOME! We're so glad you're here! We are Josh and Carolyn Thomas. Together with our nine children, we are The Homesteading Family where we’re living a self-sustainable life in beautiful North Idaho. Let us welcome you and show you a bit about us here: http://bit.ly/HFWelcomeVideo
Grow, Preserve & Thrive with us!
Visit us at https://www.homesteadingfamily.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/homesteadingfamily
A few highlights you don't want to miss are our FREEBIES!!
Click any of the links below for instant access to free video training resources:
– Healthy Healing at Home- Free 4 video workshop on our herb course Herbal Medicine Cabinet: Colds
– Bread Making workshop- Free 4 video workshop on our masterclass, The Art of Homemade Bread
– Meals on Your Shelf- Free 4 video workshop on canning. The Abundant Pantry: Canning
Click any of the links below for instant access to these free downloadable PDFs:
– Homesteading Family's Favorite Holiday Recipes – A PDF download filled with our family’s favorite holiday recipe. http://bit.ly/HFHolidayRecipes
– 5 Steps to a More Self Sufficient Life- Simple PDF download on 5 steps anyone can take wherever they are to start a more self-sufficient lifestyle. http://bit.ly/SelfSufficientLife
– Thrive Wellness Checklist- A simple PDF download for healthy living. http://bit.ly/thrivewellnesschecklist
– Permaculture for Your Homestead- PDF download that is an introduction to permaculture with some strategies for applying it to one’s homestead and garden. http://bit.ly/permacultureFYH
– Carolyn’s Cottage Garden herb list- PDF with Carolyn’s favorite herbs for growing at home.
– Carolyn’s Make-Ahead Breakfast Casseroles- Carolyn’s favorite make-ahead breakfast casseroles.
– Your FREE Guide to Preserving Eggs- PDF download with multiple ways to preserve eggs.
– 5 Steps to a Healthy Garden- PDF download with an explanation of what makes healthy soil and 5 steps you can take to improve your garden
– Save the Crumbs- Several Recipes for using bread leftovers, a less committal entry to bread than the workshop. http://bit.ly/savethecrumbs
– Fearless Fermenting- A PDF on basic lacto-ferments. http://bit.ly/Ffermenting
– Fermenting Tomatoes- PDF download on fermenting tomatoes. http://bit.ly/fermentingtomatoes
#dehydrating #dehydrate #dehydratedfood #howtodehydrate